Saturday, March 19, 2011

St. Joseph's Day

That's a photo of the Lemon Curd Strawberry Tart I made for my guests today.  They liked it.  It was a lovely time.  I am so blessed to have a nephew who lives in the state  - and he and his wife and kids actually like to come see me when they come to town.  

Today would have been my mother's 97th birthday.  She has been gone for 40 years now.  I was only 19 years old when she died.   

Today is my oldest granddaughter's 11th birthday.  She is having a party with friends at the roller skating rink, so I haven't seen her yet.  I may end up not seeing her at all today.  But I will take her shopping for her birthday present, and that will be very special.   She wants clothes.  She is getting to be that age.  

My nephew's family brought along a student from Taiwan.  I am so embarrassed!  When I was introduced to him, I thought they said his name was "Wayne," which I thought was a very odd name for a Chinese boy.  After a while, I realized they were calling him "Wang," not Wayne.  Eeesh.  What a hillbilly I can be at times!  

OK, I am not on anything even remotely resembling a topic fitting for this blog, so I will sign off.  

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful day you have had! And your tart looks just scrumptious!!! Wishing you well! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful day. I bought St. Joseph's pasteries today. Do you have them out there? They are big among Italians. Here's a google image of them:
    http://weblogs.wpix.com/news/local/morningnews/blogs/images/zep0319b.jpg

    I think I wrote a blog last year on St. Joseph's pasteries. It's probably hard to find. They are a definite must in NYC.

    Wow, you're mom died young. How sad. May she be with our Lord now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. St. Joseph's cakes, or zeppole, are a big deal around here. You can cheat and make them yourself by taking a plain fried cruller, split it in half like a bagel, and stuff with sweetened heavy whipped cream. Dust with powdered sugar, top with a cherry and voila! If you can't get to an authentic Italian bakery, you can still enjoy a St. Joseph cake. But I have to say that strawberry tart looks sinful. Very lovely presentation.

    I pray that your mother rests in peace. There is no good time to lose your mother, but 19 seems like a very difficult time. God Bless you for providing such a beautiful afternoon for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tart looks wonderful! I'm glad you all had a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never even heard of St. Joseph cakes until last night when I was talking with a friend (from NYC) whose mother's birthday is today too! She was making some form of a St. Joseph cake for her mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ones we get around here are in-credible. My MIL bought some from a local Italian bakery. If I wasn't in the middle of Corrie's birthday dinner (corned beef and cabbage) I would take a picture of them to show you. They are in such high demand, the bakery starts making them on Feb. 1st!
    MC, I can relate. I lost my dad when I was 19 and my mom when I was 23. It is a different existence when that happens, I think.

    ReplyDelete