Thursday, January 13, 2011

Who is in Charge?

There is a crocus that came up in my garden last spring.  I suspect it will do the same this year, in just a few short weeks.  My role in this?  I stuck a bulb in the ground nearly 10 years ago.  That is it.  I do not make it grow, I cannot make it stop (except by digging it up).  I am not in charge of this.  I do not order the rotation of the earth so that the seasons change.

I believe that there is an order to the universe, and it is not man-made.  I believe that we can make things better or screw things up, but that God is in charge.  It is He who makes nations rise and nations fall.  We have enemies, but we are either protected by God or not.  It is up to Him.

Nothing we do is without consequences.    But I am not in charge.  


There is comfort in this.  To me.  


Tomorrow I will go to mass and rosary on my way to work.  
Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.  Are not two sparrows sold for a penny?  And not one of them will fall to the ground without your Father's will.  But even the hairs of your head are all numbered.  Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. So every one who acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven; but whoever denies me before men, I will also deny before my Father who is in heaven.  -- Matthew 10:28-33

4 comments:

  1. That is another of my favorite Gospel passages. The idea that nothing happens without God's knowledge, and that even a sparrow is of enough value for Him to know of its demise, so imagine the value we hold for Him. Another very beautiful post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful reflection! You are right,I am not in charge. Thanks be to God! Wishing you well! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. But His knowledge is not deterministic otherwise we end up with no real free will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know there is order in the universe and in life and that order could not have happened by accident. It is that point that led me away from atheism to a believer and ultimately back to my Catholic roots.

    I have the same crocuses. They come up in February around here but right now the spot they would come up probably has around two feet of snow! Can't wait for it to melt and spring arive.

    ReplyDelete