Monday, January 10, 2011

Back to Ordinary Time

I have just returned home from Biblical School.  I thought that when I did, I would be inspired to write something.  We reviewed the first half of the year's studies - because we take a test next week.  I realized with much humility that I had better study.  I am thrilled that I am now done studying the Old Testament.  I have loved much of it, but it has so many people to remember!  The New Testament has One Major Character, and I can easily remember him.  

So this week I have to study and I also have to memorize two verses of my choice.  One from Psalms and one from the other wisdom books we have studied this semester (Job, Ecclesiastes, Psalms, Proverbs, Song of Songs, and Sirach).    Let me just tell you that I am leaning towards these verses at the moment:
Psalm 32:1-2  Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.  Blessed is the man to whom the Lord imputes no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit.
Job 1:21  And he said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return; the Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord."
I like Psalm 32 (the entire thing) because my pastor told me to read it after going to confession.  It is a wonderful Psalm of God's forgiveness - if one is honest, confesses one's sins, and turns away from evil.

I love the entire book of Job, out of all of the OT, Job may be one of my favorites.  Tobit is #1 for me.  But Job is right up there.  So, Job just hears that all of his earthly wealth has been destroyed, and his children all killed.  And how does he respond?  With faith in the Lord.  Now, THAT is faith.

My eyes are nearly crossing I am so tired.  I better get to bed because 4 a.m. rolls around pretty early each day.  And 10 p.m. is too late to be awake when 4 a.m. is waking time.

Thanks everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, The Book of Tobit is my favorite as well! And from reading it I developed a great love and devotion to St. Raphael. I will have to start reading Job. It's wonderful you are doing these studies. I feel woefully ignorant when it comes to the OT, even though I went to Catholic school for 8 years and we studied it every day in religion.
    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually always been taken aback of what happens to Job. I've always felt it was unjust. But as I sit here typing the thought just occurred to me that his torments were part of his flesh and blood life, and one would have to assume that God would make it up to him in his after life.

    Just took a look at Psalm 32. Wonderful. That's a great one!

    ReplyDelete