Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tuesday of the Second Week of Advent

At St. Mary Catholic Parish, Littleton, Colorado
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Matthew 18:12-14
Jesus said to his disciples:  "What is your opinion?  If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them goes astray, will he not leave the ninety-nine in the hills and go in search of the stray?  And if he finds it, amen, I say to you, he rejoices more over it than over the ninety-nine that did not stray.  In just the same way, it is not the will of your heavenly Father that one of these little ones be lost."
I am more grateful than words can say for these passages in the Gospels.  I was, for so long, a lost sheep, a lost coin, a prodigal.  In my ego, I would think that I was just too bad for anyone to care about.  I surely didn't think that God could possibly want me.  What a revelation it was for me to read that He really does.  He wants me!  No matter how "bad" I have been.  I can repent and just be one of the flock of sheep, one coin in the purse, one "son" in the family.

My computer has done strange things twice in the last 12 hours.  I have had to shut it down and pray it would start back up.  It is a computer I longed for, and spent a great deal of money (for me) for, it is only 2 1/2 years old.  I thought it would last longer than this.  I wanted an Apple so very badly.  And I have loved it.  I absolutely cannot pay for a new computer at this time.  I have just spent an equivalent amount of money to save one tooth in my mouth - after insurance.   Then I wonder, is this a message about my computer usage?  I do spend an inordinate amount of time sitting looking at this screen.

I go back to what I said a couple of times last week, it has been such a long journey for me to just get here.  I know I need to go so much farther.  I hope I have the time.  I am relying on Our Lord to help me get there.  To stop worrying about stupid things (like my computer) and start living in Joyful Hope.

Three Theological Virtues:    Faith     Hope      Charity

May I live by these today.


2 comments:

  1. I do not know much about being a shepherd but I assume that shepherds would act in the way Jesus mentions. I know sheep stay together by their nature and copy each other by their nature. I guess the 1 sheep that is lost would be struggling because it is against its nature to be alone.
    The virtue I am struggling to really understand is hope. I have never thought much about it before this Advent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray your computer holds up too. I would say that most of us are lost sheep at some time or other. God loves us all, especially those that come home. Don't forget tomorrow, Feast of the Immaculate Conception. Church day. :)

    ReplyDelete