Friday, December 10, 2010

Friday of the Second Week of Advent

Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart, Houston, Texas
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Matthew  11:16-19
Jesus said to the crowds:  "To what shall I compare this generation?  It is like children who sit in the marketplaces and call to one another, 'We played the flute for you, but you did not dance, we sang a dirge but you did not mourn.'  For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they said, 'He is possessed by a demon.'  The Son of Man came eating and drinking and they said, 'Look, he is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.'  But wisdom is vindicated by her works.
Criticism.  How often I have felt like this!  There is no pleasing some people - because they are committed to being displeased.  The worst thing to possibly do is cater to the whims of the displeased, because they will always be displeased.  But wisdom is vindicated by her works.  To me, that tells me that we stay the right course, regardless of whether or not we are in fashion or favor.

How difficult it is to live as a Christian in our society.  I am having a number of difficulties right now.  They are minor compared with things other people are dealing with, let me hasten to tell you.  One very high placed individual in my workplace has decided to "hone in" on me for the last two weeks.  He does it to everyone eventually, there is no reason it should not eventually be my turn.  So, now it is my turn.  In two meetings last week, he spent at least a half hour each, grilling me.  In public, in front of everyone. Somehow, I managed to pray and sit still and not cry!  I answered his questions as reasonably as I could. Later, people who have either witnessed this or heard about it and want to hear all about it.  Yesterday afternoon a woman was asking me, standing close, staring intently into my eyes... as if she could will me to say something evil about this man.  Oh, I want to.  I want to find a way to make his life miserable.  But that is not what we are supposed to do.  So, I pray for him and try with all my might not to say anything evil about him.  

And today I have a job interview elsewhere.  After 16 and a half years in the same place.  I don't want to go.  But I might just go anyway.  So, I better get dressed, all shiny and happy looking for my interview.  

I am asking for your prayers - and thanking you in advance.

2 comments:

  1. Mary Christine,
    I think you have a typo on the Matthew reference, should be chapter 11 not chapter 1. I do not join in the games people play at work. The marketplace can often breed a real vindictiveness that can drag people down.

    ReplyDelete