Saturday, December 4, 2010

Saturday of the First Week of Advent

St. John Frances Regis Chapel, Regis University, Denver, Colorado (my Alma Mater)
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Matthew  9:35-10:1,5a, 6-8
Jesus went around to all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the Gospel of the Kingdom, and curing every disease and illness.  At the sight of the crowds, his heart was moved with pity for them because they were troubled and abandoned, like sheep without a shepherd.  Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few; so ask the master of the harvest to send out laborers for his harvest."
Then he summoned his Twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits to drive them out and to cure every disease and every illness.
Jesus sent out these twelve after instructing them this, "Go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.  As you go, make this proclamation: 'The Kingdom of heaven is at hand.'  Cure the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, drive out demons.  Without cost you have received; without cost you are to give."

This reading is so dense. Since I am writing about the reading every day, I go to my Bible with my own notes, and another study Bible (Ignatius Catholic Study Bible, New Testament) and really study it.   I am struck by how much is in these few words.   Today I will just focus on "His heart was moved with pity for them  because they were troubled and abandoned."  

Today I will meditate upon his mercy.  

I am greatly in need of it.  

Last night I went to bed full of happy anticipation of today's activities.  All three of my grandchildren (including a 7 week old infant!) are coming over to help me decorate our small Christmas tree.  I am making dinner for them - and after considering gourmet meals they would not like (because I love to cook), I arrived on a menu I know they will love - homemade macaroni and cheese.  A salad.  And hot cocoa with marshmallows for desert.  

At 2 a.m., I woke with a migraine.  At 3 a.m., I decided it was worthy of taking a very expensive medication which wipes me out the next day.  At 4 a.m., I went back to sleep - the time I normally wake up and get busy.  At 7:30 a.m., I woke up, without a migraine, but sick from the medication and the after effects of the migraine.  And I am foggy from the medication.  Now it is after 10 a.m., and I still have not started cleaning the house and making dinner.  

I will offer this up, and hope to suffer it with a grateful heart.  

And get to work.

Your prayers would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment