Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thursday of the First Week of Advent

Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church, San Antonio, Texas
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Matthew  7:21, 24-27
Jesus said to his disciples:  "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the Kindgom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.
"Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock.  The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house.  But it did not collapse; it had been set solidly on rock.  And everyone who listens to these words of mine but does not act on them will be like a fool who built his house on sand.  The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house.  And it collapsed and was completely ruined."
The will of God.  How can I know if I am truly doing the will of God, or if I am just deluding myself?   I have done some strange things in my life, being convinced it was the will of God.  When I was following popular culture and its endless self-absorption.  When it was all about me and how I felt.   

Later, when I spent a lot more time reading scripture and getting humble about my importance in this world, I came to a different view.  I don't claim to know what the will of God is, but I can kind of tell what it isn't.  If I am worried about myself and "what's in it for me," I am probably not doing God's will. If, however, I am doing things I don't feel like doing (like following all Ten of the Commandments), or not doing things I feel like doing (like bad-mouthing my co-workers and thereby ensuring justice in the workplace!)  - I think I am probably getting closer.  

I want my house to be built on solid rock and to stand firm.  It is my heart's desire.

2 comments: