Monday, August 29, 2011

After a Couple of Months...

This is the interior of the Vail Interfaith Chapel.  I attended Mass there last weekend because I was in Vail for a half-marathon.  It was a wonderful Mass despite the rather generic surroundings.  The marquee outside lists the services for many different religions, it was nice that I could get to Mass while out of town.

So, I haven't posted anything for a couple of months.  I have resumed my old blog.  It is frustrating, but I have been told that others have found it helpful.  I get much too opinionated on it, and try to temper that.

My life has truly changed due to the fact that I have been dating someone since May.  We are truly "dating," it is nice.  We have gone to Mass together which is wonderful.  But this takes time.  And it takes a lot of energy.  I pray every morning that I am willing to accept God's will for this, and that I not force my own will.  I am not someone who has a history of going slow into relationships, but it might be something I could learn.

One Saturday evening we had a date and I wanted to get to Mass a little early, so I went to the church just up the street that I don't like to go to.  The homily was absolutely horrifying.  The deacon told a "cute" little story that went like this:

A man and his dog had died.  They were walking around in the clouds.  There was a pearly gate and the man asked where he was.  The gate attendant said "this is heaven, come on in."  The man asked if his dog could come in.  The gate attendant said no, so the man kept on walking.  A bit later, there was another pearly gate.  The attendant said "this is heaven, come on in."  The man asked if his dog could come in and the attendant said "sure, there's dog food over there, and water dishes over there."  Then the man confessed his confusion.  He said he had just been told the other gate was heaven.  To which the gate attendant said, "That was hell, it is there to filter out people who would deny their friends for their own selfish desires."

Really?

Let me get this straight:  There's a fake heaven set up to trick people.  That loyalty to a dog is more important than love for God.  That wishing to be with God is a selfish desire.  I could go on and on.  I was horrified.  This from the pulpit in a Catholic Church - at Mass!  How many people, including children, might have bought this phony message.

On this past Saturday, I went to my parish.  Good priest, good homily, but the music was absolutely dreadful.  Hymns with drum rolls, flute, and a swinging beat... which women were head bobbing and hip swaying to.  Really?

The sad thing is that I know I am in the wrong here.  I cannot go to Mass to judge people.  But honestly, I feel like I need a place to go where Mass is actually "holy."

And as I write this, I know where that is.  It is about 10 miles away, but it is a thriving parish with three priests, a Catholic elementary school, an Adoration Chapel and Perpetual Adoration, and confession before every single Mass.   I have never heard silly music at this church.  I have never heard a ridiculous homily at this church.

I hate to switch churches again, but maybe I will.  Is that the right thing to do?  Opinions are welcome.

Thank you.  I miss you guys.


4 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you again, and that you're still seeing "your guy!"

    Sounds like you can go anywhere but don't forget to also support your local parish, even if you don't go. (assisting here means attending)

    Canon 1248
    Can. 1248 §1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass."

    Thus, unlike the former code, the faithful are no longer obliged by law to attend Mass at their parishes on Sundays and holy days of obligations.

    But this does not mean that they may be indifferent to the life of their local parishes. While speaking about the rights and duties of the faithful, canon law says:

    "Can. 209 §1. The Christian faithful, even in their own manner of acting, are always obliged to maintain communion with the Church.

    "§2. With great diligence they are to fulfill the duties which they owe to the universal Church and the particular church to which they belong according to the prescripts of the law.

    http://www.ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur158.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think you should go to the church ten miles away. The time and distance are well worth it! I say this because it is exactly what my husband and I have been doing. We still have our daughter at the local parish school, I still lector when I am scheduled and she serves in the altar when scheduled. I teach CCD and we pay tuition and contribute. However! We go where we can worship and be fed. I think that if Catholics do this, the message will get across that we NEED faithful liturgy and teaching, and will travel to get it, if necessary. The new place is not "perfect" but we want to grow and we need the "food" to help us.
    Also, I enjoy reading your other blog. I don't comment, because I haven't anything to really contribute, but I find it beautiful. I have a daughter with some addiction issues and some others that read my blog, and I am hoping it will be found on my sidebar by anyone who may need it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kathy and Kelly. It is a difficult issue, no?

    And Kelly, thanks for reading my other blog (the one I am using for this comment) and linking to it. And thanks for the compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just seeing this now. Nice to hear from you again Mary C. Hope everything has been well with you. That man and dog homily has got to be one of the worst. It's so idiotic it's funny. It's as if the priest was talking to third graders. I can tell you I always try to go to the mass with the best priest possible. I'm blessed. We have a brilliant priest at our parish and I just love listening to his homilies. Problem is that they alternate masses between the priests and they don't always keep to a strict schedule. So I'm always disappointed when I don't get Fr. Veras. When I'm sure that Fr. Veras isn't celebrating the mass, I have been checking out the priests at other nearby churches.

    ReplyDelete